Members of U.G Department of Anthropology are:
- Prof. Manimala Das, Chairperson
- Dr Bharati Singh (member co-ordinator)
- Dr Lalitha Balakrishnan (member)
Shailabala Women€™s College was established in the year 1913 and it remained as an Intermediate college till 1945. In the beginning Anthropology was an optional subject . Subsequently , it was introduced as a pass subject at the graduation level in 1993 €“ 94. Due to growing demand of the subjects, it was introduced at Honours level in the year 2013-14.
POSITION OF THE DEPARTMENT IN THE COLLEGE
The Department is one of the oldest department in the college and accredited by NAAC in 2006 . At that time the Department was a undergraduate Department with pass only. Now Honors facility is available in the Department from 2013-14.
- The department as a part of the college has Term €“ end examination system in UG since 1993-94. In year 2016-17 CBCS has been introduced.
- The department has a mechanism of designing its curriculum by the way of
- i) Primary discussion with faculty taking UGC model syllabus
- ii) Prepares a draft syllabus to be placed in BoS keeping in view the student€™s feedback
- iii) BoS consisting of External subject Experts , University nominee
- and faculty
- iv) BoS prepares final draft ,sends it to Academic Council for approval before implementation
- The courses are updated and modified every three years in UG keeping the need of the students,society and regional/national needs.
- The requirement of UGC and local academic infrastructure are considered while revising the syllabus.
- Being an emerging area in social Science, advances made in the theory and practical are incorporated in the syllabus.
FACILITIES FOR STUDENTS
- —Class Rooms with sufficient student€™s desk- cum bench
- —Free Wi-Fi for students in the department
- —Central Library for Students
- —Equipped laboratory in the Department
- —Water filter in Laboratory : safe drinking water facility and aquaguards in several places in the college.
- —Toilet in the department
- —Reading and Reference Library facility in the department
- —Question Bank and syllabus for reference
- —Departmental seminars
- —Annual Day celebration
- —Visit to General museum and Tribal museum
LABORATORY INFRASTRUCTURE AND INSTRUMENTS
- —Anthropometer Rod
- —Spreading caliper
- —Sliding caliper
- —Rod compass
- —Sera preserver (Refrigirator)
- —Stone tools of lithic period
- —Human long bones
- —Human skulls
- —Human mandibles
- —Blood pressure machine (Digital)
- —Weighing machine